Lind was first settled in 1888 on a relatively barren area along the Northern Pacific Railway's main line by Dugal and James Neilson. The sight had
previously been selected in 1881 for a station (an old boxcar) and section house and was named Lind by the railroad although the exact origin of that
name has been lost. In the autumn of 1888 the Neilson Brothers built the first Lind residence and two years later they built and stocked a store and
resumed postal service which until then had been processed in Ritzville and tossed off in town by passing trains. James Neilson became the first
postmaster. The first school opened in 1889 with six students in attendance. The Neilson Brothers platted the town site on June 7, 1890 which
consisted of only four square blocks. The Panic of 1893 would shave off any further development of the townsite until the turn of the century.
Downtown Lind, 1910.
By 1899 the panic was starting to wear off and the high quality of the local wheat crop was growing in demand. Lind began to expand in size. A new
post office and saloon were built and a lumber yard was started and by the end of the year, the population was nearing 100. By the end of 1901,
several brick buildings were being constructed for a bank and other stores and hundreds of temporary dwellings were constructed by settlers. A new
school and three churches were built. Between 1898 and 1903, Lind grew immensely to a population of about 600 and saw the opening of many more
stores, restaurants, a bank, real estate offices and a newspaper, The Lind Leader. Lind was incorporated on January 26, 1902. Dugal Neilson was
elected mayor while his brother James was elected treasurer.
Downtown Lind 2010.
The Milwaukee Road would later lay its tracks through the south side of town, which is now the John Wayne Pioneer Trail. When the Neilson brothers
platted the townsite of Lind, they named all of the north to south streets to eventually spell out their surname. The town only grew large enough to
spell "Neilso" .
Lind is near the geographical center of Adams County, Washington. It is situated within the shallow Lind Coulee, which forms part of the border
between a rich agricultural region and the Channeled Scablands and just east of where the Paha and McElroy Coulees branch off to the north. Lind is
located 5 miles west of Highway 395 where it intersects with Lind - Ralston and Lind - Kahlotus road, officially known as SR 21, in an area known as
East Lind on maps, located at the base of the Paha Coulee. from the east, SR 21 passes through the center of town by becoming East 2nd Avenue
then turning left on to North I Street then right onto North 1st Street. As the highway turns north, Lind - Hatton and Lind - Warden Roads branch off to
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.0 square miles (2.7 km²), all of it land.
Lind is the home of a combine demolition derby that is held annually in June. It has received much publicity over the past couple years when it was
featured in Playboy's 50th Year Anniversary Special Edition issue, Discovery Channel, the movie "Always", Hamish and Andy (Australia), ESPN, KHQ's
"The Derby", and also in Stranger Than Fiction: True Stories by Chuck Palahniuk. It has also been featured on CMT. Lind also is surrounded by fields
of wheat. About half are owned by Russian-German Mennonite and Hutterites farmers.